Thursday, August 1, 2013

Gaps Can Be Interesting

Long time no post.  Oh well, there goes that "I will absolutely do this every day" idea.  As to diet and exercise I have not been consistent.  I made it through disc 5.  Unfortunately that can happen when you start out so out of shape.  Doing better now though.  I did go out and buy some new shoes to take a new approach.

What did I do?  My wife has been a proponent of barefoot running, etc for a long time.  I have flat feet and have worn orthotics for a long time.  She insisted that my foot and a lot of the muscles around the arch haven't worked for many years.  Reading Mark's Daily Apple made a very compelling case.  So, we went to REI and bot a pare of barefoot shoes.  Merrell Bare Access 2's to be exact.  Of course, it's easy to overdue as detailed here.

So far, it's actually been pretty good.  Some days can be pretty sore and others are fine.  I definitely feel a change going on in my legs.  The first day I thought "let's go to the store and I'll wear them walking around there."  That was brilliant as my legs were on fire with pins and needles throughout my feet and calves by the time we finished.  After recovering I took it a little easier.

Yesterday I decided to take an incremental approach running with these shoes.  Turns out, everything I was told was correct.  Running with correct form (which you end up doing with these kind of shoes) is incredibly easy on your knees, hips, back, etc.  Granted, I only ran 1/3 of a mile and was huffing and puffing like made when I finished.  The end result was that I felt great.  Today I walked 3/4 of a mile with the munchkin (with a little run the last 1/10th) as a recovery day.  I'm registered for a 5K run/walk.  Who knows, maybe I'll be able to run at least half of that.  Definitely have a positive outlook right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment